Whether directly caring for our patients, or caring for the people who care for our patients, our people do amazing things every moment of every day.
We recognize the dedication and hard work of physicians and staff through yearly Altru Achievement Awards and the Robert M. Jacobson Lifetime Achievement Award.
Altru Achievement Awards
Altru Achievement Awards are peer-nominated and given to employees who exemplify the values of Altru Health System, commit to serving others, and go above and beyond their everyday responsibilities.
This year, we had five recipients, representing a variety of departments across the health system. In no particular order, they include…
Jim Abar | Maintenance Supervisor
- Ensures Altru’s grounds provide a welcoming environment for patients and staff
- Works closely with the Professional Nurse Committee on their Potato Bowl float
- Takes great pride in Altru’s campus and treats it as if it were his home
Dan Beauchamp | Facilities Manager
- Meets the needs of his customers while being mindful of the organization’s resources
- Managed countless renovations and moves, including private room conversions
- Instrumental in retrieving and restoring historic statues from St. Michael’s Hospital
Shannon Hansen | Infection Control Coordinator
- Takes her work long past regular hours and responsibilities
- Early advocate for staff flu vaccine requirements, directly contributing to patient safety
- Known for her ability to catalyze successful change and “get things done”
Alissa (Ali) Hohmann | Licensed Practical Nurse (Parkwood Senior Living)
- Someone who residents, families and staff rely on for expertise and guidance
- Works well under pressure and never makes others feel like she has limited time
- Calm and reassuring demeanor provides comfort and healing for all
Audrey Lorenz | Strategic Planning Lead
- Guides senior leadership and board of directors with strategic planning and execution
- Positively impacts our communities through her work on community health assessments
- Cares deeply about the Altru brand and embodies the Altru Promise
Robert M. Jacobson Lifetime Achievement Award
The Robert M. Jacobson Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes individuals who have made ongoing and lasting contributions, enhancing the culture and services provided by Altru Health System.
The son of a prominent physician in Los Angeles, Dr. Mark Siegel wasn’t expecting to find his life’s work in North Dakota. That all changed when a “practice interview” in 1978 turned into a 36-year career in Grand Forks.
At the time, the Grand Forks Clinic and United Hospital were beautiful new facilities standing on the edge of town. There was plenty of work and opportunities to practice the surgery that he loved.
Dr. Siegel brought new skills and abilities to medical care. Just a few of the many innovations he helped to launch included minimally invasive and endoscopic surgery, access lines for renal patients and the concepts of modern surgical critical care. Surgery was undergoing a rapid evolution, and Dr. Siegel stood at the forefront of that change.
Early in the 1980s, Dr. Siegel was directly involved with the Mayo Clinic, through the North Central Treatment Group. Working with Mayo, he helped bring the first portacath for a cancer patient to United Hospital.
Beyond surgery, Dr. Siegel is a natural leader. One of his proudest accomplishments was the creation of the surgical residency program with UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Grand Forks-trained surgeons now lead some of the most prestigious surgery programs in the Upper Midwest and the nation.
Dr. Siegel has served as Chief of Medical Staff for United Hospital and President of the Grand Forks Clinic. It was during this time that leaders of the hospital and clinic decided to bring these organizations together in what we know today as Altru Health System.
In his current role, Dr. Siegel serves as Medical Director of Care Management, molding Altru into a model system. Physicians and residents still frequent his office seeking advice. A thoughtful teacher, he listens, asks questions and offers support.
Dr. Siegel’s legacy will be the difference he has made in the lives of others through his kindness and compassion. Thousands of grateful patients and co-workers, hundreds of residents and students, colleagues and many others owe something of what they have become to this great healer and human being.
Congratulations to all recipients. Thank you for your dedication to making Altru a better place. Leave your congratulations to this year’s recipients in the comments below.