There can be some scary things hidden in the nooks of your refrigerator. But, have you ever considered some of the items that are front and center may also be hard on your health? Here is a list of five common foods in your fridge that aren’t so healthy.
1. Pop and juice drinks. SunnyD and Sprite in the same category? Yes. Both have almost exactly the same amount of added sugar. A 12 oz serving contains five teaspoons of sugar. Swap these drinks out with naturally flavored carbonated water, unsweetened iced tea or lemon water.
2. Flavored or “fruit on the bottom” yogurts. Yogurt is a great source of low fat protein. However, flavored yogurts, even ones with “fruit on the bottom,” have loads of added sugar. Opt for non-fat plain yogurt and add the fruit yourself.
3. Processed meat (deli meat, bacon, hot dogs, sausage). What do all of these have in common? Sodium, fat and preservatives. To keep the convenience of having prepared meat in your fridge, throw a few chicken breasts in the crock-pot on Sunday, shred them and use as you would deli meat.
4. Processed cheese (Velveeta, American, Cheese Whiz). At this point, it can’t really be considered cheese anymore. All cheese should be consumed as a treat rather than a staple, but definitely steer clear of these “cheeses.” They are filled with unhealthy fats, sodium and preservatives. Choose part-skim mozzarella or regular cheddar cheese. Remember to consume all cheese in moderation.
5. Margarine. Margarine first became popular because of butter shortages during WWII. Today, with all of our choices, consumption of margarine should be limited. Choose heart healthy oils such as olive or canola oil instead.
In celebration of National Clean Out Your Fridge Day on November 15, do yourself a favor and swap these foods for the healthier options. Making healthy, small lifestyle changes will move you one step closer to a happier, healthier you.
What’s one food item you plan to get rid of? Share it here.