After serving as president of Altru Health System for over 17 years, today Dr. Casey Ryan still enjoys a successful career in medicine, loves spending time with his large family, and finds balance in the buzz of daily life by staying active and involved in his community. Let’s take a behind-the-scenes look into Dr. Ryan’s secrets to success.
Give us a quick run-down of a day in your life. What does your typical Tuesday look like?
- 5 a.m. – Wake up, light breakfast, read Grand Forks Herald print, Wall Street Journal on iPad
- 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. – See patients in clinic and hospital setting. Nurse Mary makes my day easy!
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. – Exercise, which could be spin class, running, EXOS or weights, 4-5 days per week
- 7 p.m. – Dinner and walk after with Bev (wife)
- 9:30-10:30 p.m. – Evening news, to bed
How do you spend your downtime?
Relaxing and reading. Watching UND hockey in the winter and being outside in the summer.
If you had a free hour alone, what would you do?
Exercise, read or work in the garden.
What do you keep in your car just in case you have extra time?
Medicine journal articles.
What personal development goals are you working toward right now?
Run a 5K sub 21 minutes.
(Note: Dr. Ryan ran Run for Your Buns in 20:54.6!)
Fill in the blank:
- I’m going to ( eat ) less ( carbs ).
- I’m going to ( exercise ) more ( and clean my office ).
- To get motivated, I ( exercise and plan ).
What’s the best choice you made last year?
Recruit my replacement.
What’s your mantra?
Just do it!
What’s your worst habit?
Best habits for a healthy life?
Exercise, diet, maintain weight.
Favorite thing about our community?
The people. We have so many kind and caring individuals.
What’s your best life advice?
Do today what you shouldn’t put off until tomorrow.
Name five things we could find in your fridge right now.
Yogurt, eggs, raspberries, milk, grapefruit.
Favorite go-to recipe?
Fried eggs with yolks removed.
How do you stay active?
Exercise 4-5 times per week and walking.
How do you find balance in your daily life?
What message do you have for those who are struggling with their health and body image?
You can do it!
Stay tuned for more Secrets to Success featuring local community leaders coming up in future months.