Exfoliation is an important skin care step that helps our skin look and feel amazing. It is such a simple task, maybe too simple, that people often forget to do it.
Exfoliation allows us to remove the dead skin that has been sitting on the surface for far too long. By doing this, we are increasing the skin’s cell cycle, which will allow new, healthier skin to surface at a much faster rate. In return, we notice:
- Our skin is silky smooth.
- Our complexion is more radiant.
- Sun damage (freckles, age spots) appears lighter.
- Acne prone skin improves.
- We feel better about how we look.
You don’t want to exfoliate every day, as that can be too much of a good thing. Your skin will tell you by appearing red and irritated. Ideally, you will want to have a proper home care routine that provides exfoliation and a trip to your aesthetician once a month or every other month to get a medical grade exfoliation treatment.
- SkinTx System – a professional home care system is uses products with ingredients that loosen the glue bonds that hold the skin together, increasing that cell cycle. Some of these ingredients are: Retin-A, Retinol, Glycolic acid, Lactic acid, L-ascorbic Vitamin C, Resorcinol and Phytic acid.
- Clarisonic Devices – use a brush head that oscillates back and forth, allowing for deep cleansing and even exfoliation. This device can be used twice a day if needed on rough skin, but most will do every other day or every third day. The Clarisonics that are mostly recommended are: Mia 1, Mia 2 and Smart Profile. (All are available at Truyu.)
- Hydrafacials – these include microdermabrasion, which is an even form of abrasion that is more aggressive. We can also focus on blackheads by doing manual extractions. The last step of the Hydrafacial is to apply a treatment serum, which your aesthetician will help you select, and a proper sunscreen. Hydrafacials give your face that glowing, refreshed look with no downtime.
- Chemical Peels – there are many different forms and brands of chemical peels. Consulting with your aesthetician to discuss goals and expectations is best. If your goal is a healthier glow or correcting pigment or acne scarring, we can find a chemical peel that is right for you.
Extra Tips for Winter
Winter air can be especially hard on our skin. Here are some extra tips for the colder months:
- Find a product that is hylauronic acid-based. VivierSkin B5 Hydrating Gel or NeoCutis Hyalis are great options. Because this is a water-loving ingredient, it helps to attract moisture to the surface of the skin.
- It’s a good idea to find a more moisturizing cream to help with temporary dryness or flaking. VivierSkin Ultra Hydrating Mask works best. It can be used as a treatment mask or a daily moisturizer.
- Be careful not to over-exfoliate during winter months. This can easily lead to irritated skin. Less is best in this scenario.
- Always use SPF 30, even during the winter months. The UVA rays can reflect off the snow, causing aging and skin damage. Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean that the sun is any less powerful.
- If you are going to be outside playing, wearing a face mask can help prevent drying your skin even more.
With so many options available, I don’t expect the average person to be able to sort it all out. That is why we recommend scheduling a consult with us, so that we can guide you into making the best decisions for your skin goals.